Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Television. Drug of the nation.

When I was a kid, TV was my life. I was a serious cathode ray addict. I must have been because I can remember specific episodes of Sapphire and Steel. And boy, was that hard to watch.

These days I don't watch that much of it. About six weeks ago Virgin Media sent me a new 'smart card' to plug into the virgin set top. I haven't plugged it in. Nor have I taken the Set top box out of it's wrapping. That arrived in February.

Come to think of it I don't have a house phone either. I used to have it plugged in until I made one long local call that cost me 15 quid. No more. It's unplugged. Better still no one can ring me. That is of course unless they have my mobile. Suits me fine.

Anyway i'm straying of my point now. Television is a drug. Drugs are bad. Ergo Television is bad. But this is not quite correct. Like anything, too much is bad for you but a little of what you fancy does you good.

Now I'm contradicting myself. Let me start again.

We all have our addictions. We all do some things too often for our own detriment. Right now it's my iPhone. I use it for everything. Work, rest and play. Eventually there will be a support group I can join, I'm sure.

So what's yours?

What are YOU doing too much?



No comments: