Thursday, June 24, 2010

Rapid Vapid Consumerism

I'm going to avoid talking about the subject matter for as long as possible. I have to. If I peak too soon, I will quickly reach disdain. Disdain wouldn't be so bad but it quickly progresses to anger before a 'low mood fugue' sets in. I'm therefore prolonging the period before I sink into a state of resignation that 'all is not well with the world'.

For some people nothing and everything is ever enough. Grand gestures are required. A friend of a friend told me that his girlfriend had indicated that he spend at least £3000 on an engagement ring. Apparently, it was the 'done thing'. There was even a handy formula for him to follow ...two months salary or £3000, whichever the higher amount.

They are no longer together.

Should we not all be satisfied with a rusty curtain ring instead of a big rock? The important things in life are not enriched solely by grand gestures; they develop out of thoughtfulness, appreciation and common human kindness. Have this as a bedrock first and then throw in a few grand gestures (when you know you don't NEED to)

Ok I've deviated long enough. Consumerism. The throw away waste culture we all inhabit sickens me. It has turned people into Dawn of the Dead mall zombies. Stumbling, brainless from one disposable product to the next, never satisfied, never satiated of the desire to throw away and replace or buy crap for sake of buying crap.

I submit that consumerism has in it's own way contributed to a deterioration in the skills necessary for a meaningful connection with another human being. Those most affected either see their relationships as entirely disposable and replaceable or they see a demonstration of human kindness needing a pound-sign attaching, to give it some relative meaning for them.

The important things in life are un-consumable. My mum sums it up the best. Pointing to her heart... "Jono, it's what's in here that counts."

No comments: