Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Management Types - No#47

The Knee-Jerk

The Knee Jerk is generally weak, feeble and listens to everything everyone tells him.

The latter part of the aforementioned is generally a very good thing. Listening is a particular skill which will serve anyone well. Interestingly, the vast majority of people NEVER actually listen.

Sometimes I'm the same. I'm so caught up in 'delivering my message' or 'getting across my point' that I forget to process properly what another person is actually saying to me. But I'm better than most. I know this for a fact because my 'balls up' ratio is within normal parameters.

Unfortunately, however precious the skill of listening is, it is certainly not at all wise to act upon every piece of new information. The Knee-Jerk does this.

Repeat Knee Jerkers run the very real risk of turning into No#52's... Flappers. And there's only one thing worse than a Flapper, the dreaded and universally despised No#101.. the Happy Flapper.

No comments: